LPAssociation Interview - Mike Shinoda Discusses New Linkin Park Album 'One More Light'

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Feb 21, 2017.

1. The_Hands47

The_Hands47 Active Member

Unfortunately, I think that's "Drive" by Jai Wolf. As much as I love that song!

2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I mean it is funny that that when drums kick in on "Heavy" I think of 90s soft rock that could be used in a Disney sitcom, but I think people are projecting the arrogant/douchey thing. He went out of his way to say "I like these bands" in every interview and even said the demos he made sounded like those bands. Sounds like he didn't wanna be a biter.
    Mostly parents.

I'm an uncle though.

3. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

DISCLAIMER: This isn't just targeted towards you, but everyone else who believes Mike can do no wrong.

Hypocrite: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Mike Shinoda's stated beliefs or feelings:
    Whether Heavy is an objectively (or even subjectively) good or bad song is a discussion that clearly cannot be resolved, as proven by the 1500+ post argument on the official release thread that continues to travel in a vicious-never-ending cycle. However it seems horribly misguided to deny that Heavy was designed for significant mainstream success on pop radio stations across the globe.

Jingle: a short verse or song marked by catchy repetition

At less than 3 minutes in length, Heavy is a short song, even among other pop radio singles. Heavy is a song with short verses. Heavy is ridiculously catchy due to its repetition in the chorus. Heavy is a pop jingle.

Mike was adamantly against following that trend, searching for any alternative options to rebel with. He wrote and produced The Hunting Party, a record that indirectly (and in Rakim's case, directly) targets the current trend of pop music in the industry. Three years later, he decided to join the pop jingle party with one of the most successful rock bands on the planet.

Everyone can argue that sure, it's been three years and Mike's a changed guy who just wants to write pop jingles now. But there's no excusing the fact that he is by definition a hypocrite.

Manu, kickgift, Andreina and 3 others like this.
  4. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

Aye don't you leave out ma boys The Chain Gang of 1974. They helped make that song a and produce vocals too!

5. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Im amazed the music video hasn't come out yet. I think to male the single an even bigger success they should have dropped the music video right away.

Ed Sheeran dropped two music videos the week after the two singles came out

6. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Oh my God, people.

Yes, Mike Shinoda came across as a douche. And? Are we gonna treat him like a douche for all eternity now? Are we seriously gonna treat Mike fucking Shinoda as a douche, of all the people in this world? The dude who runs several charity organizations, and in general just seems like the coolest guy ever? And we're gonna treat him like a douche because "hurrr durrr my chvrches, the bad man said they disney pop hurrr durrr"?

Kilmer, ciao_fiv, Deliveranze and 6 others like this.
  7. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I have nothing but respect for Shinoda, and don't greatly care about this matter, but I still see why people aren't happy. I suppose it'd be nice if he addressed it somehow or another instead of letting it linger

I might feel different if I absolutely hated the new single, though

Hans Muster, brady and Gravity_LP like this.
  8. drackslayer

drackslayer Well-Known Member

Are you still discussing what Mike said three years ago? Wow, I change my mind almost weekly ...
    I do not blame the guy for not having the same opinion (or feelings, or musical taste, or whatever) of THREE YEARS AGO.

Iopia and brady like this.
  9. HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Mike said something douchey 3 years ago. Ok. He deflected one question about said douchey comments that he made, once again, 3 years ago. Ok.

Honestly, live and let live. What's the point in dwelling on it? Yeah he could've owned up to it more but oh fucking well. Are we really gonna act like he's Lord Asshole Fuckface III of Douchington because of one hiccup he made (in the form of some tone deaf comments) despite having a very long history of being a great guy?

Iopia and Gravity_LP like this.
  10. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I don't even see it as douchey, it's just what he was feeling at the time. Let be thankful he it doesn't feel the same way he did in 1999.

11. One More Rob

One More Rob Well-Known Member

12. Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

We are all hypocrites.
    I am positive that if we took a random statement that each of us made 3-4 years back, most of us would disagree with ourselves, at least to some extend.

The fact that this is the most "offensive" or "hypocritical" thing Mike has ever said in his career says more about his character than your ability to point it out.

Deliveranze, Jmuuh, Breno9712 and 4 others like this.
  13. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

Well, Shinoda has a right to do whatever he likes with the music he produces with LP, still, it doesn't change the fact that it's pretty resaonable to consider him a bit hypocritical becouse of what he has said three years ago and what he does now. Yeah, I do use the argument of what he said three years ago becouse he said it and made it as a statement to his artistic direction.
    I had the same problem with understanding him and his decisions in 2007 when MTM came out. Now, it dosen't pretty matter to me if the record will be any good or bad - there's a lot more bands to be interested in, it just can turn out that I won't listen to the record, It's as much as I can do to express my opinion about it.
    I hope that there will be some interesting songs on the album - I don't need them to be in THP style (which I like very much) but it would be really good if they would be at more ambitious level than Heavy is - despite the fact I still can enjoy the song, it's just unabitious, simple, shallow track - not the production I would expect from LP after ATS, LT and THP.

I think that it would be a great plot twist if Chvurches released a heavy rock record this year and diss Mike for being Disney-pop vocalist and band member.

14. mandylane

mandylane Well-Known Member

this is linkin park not ed

15. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

Well, you can also structure your approach to get your music going different. I am not talking about the obvious stuff here and I think it is clear they had (again) a different approach to create music. Maybe the general structure you have in mind is the same but if you do a content analysis you will always find differences in certain parts of their music.

Ohhh, that is why I always confuse What I've done with Heavy!

Damn, but thank you. I like that tune :)

Michele likes this.
  16. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Yeah I really couldn't disagree more

Hans Muster likes this.
  17. SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

This thread, I swear to god.

We got new information on the album, that Mike sings by himself on two songs, the fact Chester will effin' rap in one of them, and a lyric from Halfway Right that sounds promising. Yet instead of discussing that, some people are still agonizing over Mike's comments over three. Fucking. Years. Ago. And his McDonalds comment in his interview. What? I can semi-understand the former, but why are people being triggered by the latter? Ugh. :hitself:

Maybe it would do all of us well if we focused on actually discussing the album instead of somewhat derailing the thread with more arguments?

Kilmer, Iopia, Sasuke and 1 other person like this.
  18. Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Really looking forward to Sorry for Now now we know that's the Blackbear clip. Because Chester said there are unannounced features on some songs I wonder if Blackbear IS actually on it? With Mike singing, Blackbear and Chester rapping on Sorry for Now, sounds like it could be really something great.

Mitch and brady like this.
  19. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

At this point I'm really struggling to imagine how that might actually sound. Stoked that they are trying something so different though.

20. zayl

zayl Friendly neighbor revenge seeking vigilante

Discussing unlistened album will bring nothing new for this moment. moreover we are talking about what Mike said in the last inteview so it's kinda understandable to confront his words with his previous statements.