Emos? What Is An Emo

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by rundown228, Jul 15, 2012.

rundown228

rundown228 Banned

Emo in literal term = An abbreviation for emotional (makes sense)

Emo to idiots = a whinny teenage kid (mainly female) who wears dark clothes, dyes their hair 20 colors, listens to Blood On The Dance Floor and Three Days Grace (I guess I'm emo).... You know.... GOTH.

Emo = a form of music

kats.jpg
    Why must we have 3 different versions of the term, when the later 2 make no sense to be labeled as such? The 2nd makes no sense considering we don't need labels to generalize people, internets aren't that stupid.

And the third one.... I don't get. Many bands show emotion in their songs, does that make them emo?

I don't get it. =(

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I have no idea how to reply to this. :lol:

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Emo has come to mean more than that definition. It's an association with a certain look too. Just like hippie's are associated with scraggly hair/dreadlocks, massive amounts of weed, clothes made out of twine, their own hair, and the tears of children from third world countries, and funny smells, emo's are associated with a certain look as well.

It's not to the extent of a MOVEMENT, like the hippie movement, but it's more than just "emo just means emotional" now.

Let's try this out: Google image "Emo" :

emo12pf7.jpg how-to-be-emo.jpg

Looks about right.

"The 2nd makes no sense considering we don't need labels to generalize people, internets aren't that stupid."

We do need labels to generalize people. It's a part of how our brain works. We have schemas, and certain things fit into those schemas that make sense for the general population of those demographics. It helps us keep things nice and organized in our head. Whether that definition fits what you stated for MOST people... idk. It sounds like you have your own preconceived ideas of how people view emos based on your experiences.

"And the third one.... I don't get. Many bands show emotion in their songs, does that make them emo?"

Victory Records, man. That's all that's needed to be said. Victory Records.

Also:

[video=youtube;hUO-sRLotOI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUO-sRLotOI[/video] lol

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Bzzzzzzzzt.
    Rock music isn't about banging rocks together. Oldies isn't necessarily sung by old people. Emo is NOT about being emotional, and it is a pet peeve of mine to see people equate the Emo term with general emotionalness. Definition #1 is the one that is clearly wrong. Emo started in the mid 1980's with bands like Fugazi. It is a genre of music that derives from punk music. It rekindled last decade with the Scene kind of Emo, which is kinda different different than the original emos, but it still kinda has that pop-punk influence in there. Because it is a musical genre with a history and a definition, you can't just go around labeling any emotional music as emo. Linkin Park is not emo.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I couldn't help but notice you lumped goth and emo together. That's incorrect as well. There's a difference. I was never goth myself but that was kind of my gang in high school. I was a loaner and they weren't judgey like everyone else so I just associated with them. Anyways the point being I've seen the difference up close. Goth is a little more. . . Morbid. Emo is just. . . Emo. Idk.

rundown228

rundown228 Banned

ugh. It's a good thing I don't care.

^I guess I'm goth than, Chester. ^_^

All I have to say is:

YOU MAKE KITTY SCARED

shinformant

shinformant Banned

I hate to break it to you guys, but 2005 was SEVEN WHOLE YEARS AGO.

rundown228

rundown228 Banned

technically 6 if you count August - December

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

"Is this real life?"

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Is this just fantasy?