Osama binladen still alive?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Star Scream, May 9, 2012.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Even if that were true, which I don't think it is, can you blame him? The whole country's determined to see his entire term as an all-inclusive failure, and it's been shown that presidents who have trouble with domestic policies turn to and emphasize foreign policy successes.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I dont see Obama being as stupid as Bush to try and cover up a milestone in the American Military history. Sure Obama is capable of, but why would he do that? He's smart enough, ironically, to not cover up Osama's death on the grounds that if he is caught out, he'll lose all integrity and judging by his character, he's not that kind of bloke. Bush, yes, if he had the IQ to do it, but seriously. Think about it. It's another conspiracy for people to gossip and bitch about that has way too many facts for it to be proven wrong. He was caught. He was killed. Who else do you guys want to debate the death of next? Michael Jackson? Kurt Cobain? John Lennon? Let the old bastard rot in the ocean in peace.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Anyone ever wonder why people don't trust the government? Why people believe in most things, but don't believe in a few? Do I always have to post this quote?

"You know, by the time you become the leader of a country, someone else makes all the decisions. ... You may find you can get away with virtual presidents, virtual prime ministers, virtual everything." -Bill Clinton

But every time we hear about the president, he is described as "The most powerful man in America/The World".

A few months ago in a speech, Obama asked congress to grant him more power. Why? Because congress has that power. The people in congress are the same people who have been passing these dumbass bills because lobbying is legal. Look up the new bill to officially legalize propaganda in the U.S. or the bill to make protesting illegal.

Anyway, I don't even trust this. The news is corporate B.S. also. It's just here to make people divided and argue about unimportant shit while we have no jobs, school funding is cut, but somehow we have all this money to keep our 100-something military bases and go off into other countries and "bring them democracy".

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

People have been watching too many movies if they truly believe this crap.

SuperDude526

Although I will give him that one bullet point, that Congress is significantly more powerful than the presidency. As countless political scientists and students thereof will tell you, this is the Paradox of Presidential Power: it's such a politically influential and powerful position, that all other branches do their darndest to make it the least powerful.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Thus, the beauty of America. Our "checks and balances" system leaves us as a laggard in every type of legislation, from domestic issues, environment policy, to foreign affairs.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

The point that I always like to make when it comes to politics and media in the US is that we get conflicting information ALL the time and plenty of it comes from our news outlets. Why do they blame everything on the POTUS when the president hasn't had such power in nearly 50 years? Why did people ignore Joe Biden when he said that he didn't consider Ghadafi to be a dictator? Most of America just sits in front of the tv and watches someone who isn't involved in anything that they report about and take their word for it. That's why I really love that Bill Clinton quote about a "virtual president". It comes straight from the horse's mouth.... but why are we listening to the person that gets paid to talk about the president instead?

Just to clear things up, I'm not a conspiracy theorist and never have been.
    Never even watched a Zeitgeist film. I'm more into communications and sociology. I do have a few uncles who were respected politicians...so I guess that kinda runs in my blood

SuperDude526

Okay, yes, I do agree with you there. The last president of such considerable power was probably Truman, if even him. Hell, I know for a fact that even Ike complained about the paradox of presidential power; those were his first words to Kennedy upon switching chairs with him.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Military bases create both enlisted and civilian jobs. Don't make the military seem all big, bad and evil. It's not and it changed my life... for the better.

SuperDude526

We could do to cut the military budget just a *little* bit though. This isn't some moral argument about how we're overreaching ourselves or too imperialistic or anything. The fact of the matter is we're so far ahead of everyone else in the world (even where China is concerned, we're two full generations ahead in military tech) that it would be more efficient to ease up just a little bit and allocate those resources elsewhere.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I didn't even mention the military in my post.

And the military isn't the problem. The people in charge of the military are a problem. Ever since the president's significant loss of power (pushed by war-profiteer Prescott Bush, father of president/CIA head George Bush, employer of Bin Laden), we've been spending a shitload on the military by starting wars and setting up bases everywhere. I have a friend in Afghanistan right now that doesn't support the war, and a marine buddy that doesn't regret his time, but wouldn't tell anybody to join.

The people who paint the military as heroes or enemies aren't in the military and probably don't even know people who are. Those people are sheep. Those people get media coverage all the time, too. It makes people argue, and both sides are wrong. We barely get media coverage of actual people who have served...

so fuck it.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Um, then what is this?

Otherwise, I agree with what you are saying. However, I didn't support the war on the front lines during my time in. I did however have a job that supported those on the front lines from a position of anonymity and security. I obviously made a decision not to re-enlist, but I loved my time in... so, I see where your friend is coming from.

Anyways, maybe I misunderstood. Good points from both sides. I think most will agree on supporting the troops.

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

About reading Chris Ryan's book 'Osama' and I've been thinking about this too. There may be more to it than they're letting on.

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Anyone doubting the 'Burial at sea' decision consider the fact that it was done to keep the body away from those who might want to dig it up again; either to mutilate an enemy after their death (See: Gaddafi) or make him a martyr for the cause?

The story checks out. Stop trying to make the world more mysterious than it actually is.